Friday 15 June 2012

Vegetarian Curry Bun

Vegetarian Curry Bun


Curry Paste:
12 dried chilli (soaked with hot water)
12 shallots
5 buah keras
2 stalks lemongrass
1 garlic
10g belacan
5g tumeric
100g cooking oil



Method:
1) Put all curry paste ingredient in TM bowl, 20secs/Sp 10




2) Scrap down the paste from the lid and side of bowl.



3) Cook at 20mins/V/Sp 1




4) Scooped half of the curry paste out


While waiting the curry paste to be ready, prepared the vegetarian filling



Filling:
6 pieces of potatoes (cubed) - boiled at 10mins with 1tsp of salt (about 2-3 cups of water)

1/2 big carrot
2 red onions






Method:
1) Add carrot and onions in TM bowl, turbo twice at 1sec each then 10secs/Sp 4
2) Scrap down from lid and side of bowl.
3) Cook at 10mins/V/Sp spoon
4) At remaining 5mins add drained cooked potatoes and salt, soy sauce, dark soy sauce to taste

Filling is done.

For bun: (Sponge dough method) - thanks kimmy-cookingpleasure for your recipe, really easy to follow... errr... I didn't use the recipe below as I didn't add egg. Forgotten which one of her sponge dough method already... But this should be good I guess

Step 1 - Ingredients:

2 tsp instant yeast
160ml  water
230g bread flour

Method:
Mix yeast with water in TM bowl, 30secs/37°C/Sp 3 then add in flour.  Knead to form a smooth dough at 2mins/knead
Leave to proof  for 1-1 1/2 hours or double in size. (I only waited 1 hour)



Step 2 - Ingredients:
60g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast
1 small egg
25g water
100g bread flour
30g butter







Method:
Add all Step 2 ingredients  [except butter] to dough from Step 1.  Knead 30secs/Sp 4 to combine.  Continue to knead at 2mins/Knead until dough is soft and smooth.  Add in butter, continue to knead until dough is soft and elastic or window pane stage at 2mins/Knead.
Shape dough into a ball.  Cover and leave to proof for 15 minutes.
Punch down and divide into 60gm per portion or  into any portions required. (I made it to 14 portions)
Shape dough into any shapes with fillings.  Leave to rise for 30-45 minutes or until double in size.  (didn't wait though, lazy me, will wait next time round)
Brush with egg/milk glaze.
Baked in preheated oven at 190 degrees for 12-15 minutes.



My niece insisted to help :)

Didn't use any of those molds though.. use only for one last one with the 'heart' shape as requested, without filling.


Uh oh... unsure if it's because I didn't wait up for another 30-40mins for it to rise or was it that we rolled the dough too thin..

It's still yummy though. My youngest nephew came home from nursery and had 2 before dinner and kept thanking me. Meanwhile my brother told me I can start open shop already :)





Will definitely try again. I've only used half the fillings. Need to make double dough to use up all the filling.

4 comments:

  1. :) And there are lots of apps readily available for smart phones and iPads too. That's what I would normally do. I would just google-d for recipe, park my laptop or iPhone next to my Thermomix and start experimenting with new dish!

    ReplyDelete